Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Okay, maybe my last entry was a bit over the top about the conflict over here in Lebanon. I'm not in any danger because of anything going on over here, but I'm just quite upset about the whole thing after seeing how the people here view the entire mess. It's actualy both sides fault, but my last entry was pretty much aimed towards Bush which is were only some of the blame should be going. But I don't think it's our right to blame anyways.

Well other than that, I went to a really good lecture yesterday where one of the professors from the religon department of the University of Jordan came and talked about the basic elements of Islam. I've said this a lot to various people over and over again, but Islam is extremely similar to Mormonism, in fact it seems closer than most christain religons. I'm going to prepare a special blog where I will compare and contrast the two. But anyways, this guy was very sharp! He explained how the bad things that we hear all the time about Islam aren't Islam at all, but tribal elements from Arab culture which have existed from before Islam such as honor killings, violence, ect.. And another interesting thing is that even though it seems like Islam discriminates against women, it's actualy a better deal for the women than the men, and more women then men convert to Islam. I will discuss this more in the Mormonism vs. Islam blog (that actual dosen't very nice, all change it).

The other day, I featured a story about a girl in the group who had an intereting run in with the waiters at a restaurant. Well after she read my blog, she reminded me of another story. We went to this restaurant somewhere that had a lot of wierd stuff on the menu, so when she saw that there was a grilled cheese on the menu she ordered it. When the waiter brought it out it wasn't two pieces of bread with cheese in the middle that had been grilled. But in fact it was just cheese that had been grilled, a small piece of cheese to be exact.

Well cheers everyone.

1 comments:

Nate Perkins said...

Gnar. Really interesting.